Sunday, September 28, 2008

New Every Morning


Lamentations 3:22-24 – “The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!”

It is very easy for me to recall the moments in my life that I lived with regret. The times that I second-guessed my actions and decisions. In fact it isn’t just me, I’ve seen it in people that were in the worlds eyes extremely successful. People that others would never envision as having to second guess what they had done or decisions that they had made. But when you get close to them. When you earn their trust…it comes shining through loud and clear. I’ve given up living like that. I no longer choose to second guess my decisions, rather I strive to make the right decisions in the first place as guided by the Holy Spirit and if it does appear that I have moved in the wrong direction I will learn from it and move on.

Many people live their lives in regret or in guilt of previous decisions or actions. This lingering guilt prevents them from totally experiencing the joy that the Lord desires for them to experience and because of this it also prevents them being all that they could and should be. If you have been a Christian for any length of time you have heard the scriptural phrase “His mercies are new every morning.” We have to recognize the fact that God’s love never ends. It never gives up. And his mercies renew us each and every day. The failings we may have had yesterday are gone today if we accept the Lord’s mercy and his forgiveness.

The cool thing is that we don’t have to pray for the Lord’s forgiveness because he has already done everything that needs to be done. It is finished, to put it in His own words. We just have to accept it and go with it. When we fall short…accept his mercy. When we mess up…accept his mercy. When we sin…accept his mercy. It is there, just waiting for us. It allows us to continually move forward in spite of our shortcomings and sinful nature.

While I don’t want to downplay the significance that the past plays in the lives of many people, I also want to recognize the significance that the Lord’s mercy can and will play in our lives if we accept it. For some people, it may require time dedicated to overcoming and dealing with the decisions that you have previously made. But for many, it may be as simple as accepting God’s mercy and forgiveness and applying it to the areas that are attempting to bring you down.
Today, make it a priority to forget the past and look forward to all that God has for you. Learn what you can from what you have already done and accomplished…and anything else from your past that doesn’t help or serve a purpose…forget it. Put it behind you and move forward. Better and stronger from what you have learned and not at all hampered by what you may have messed up because of the Lord’s mercies that are new every morning.

What a great way to start the day!!

Have a blessed one,

RodZ

© 2008 – Rodney Zimmerman – All rights reserved

No comments: