Monday, September 8, 2008

I Love Fall...Not the Act

I love Fall. Not the act…rather the season. And this past Sunday I had the opportunity to get out and ride the Door County Century ride at the very beginning of the Fall Season. It’s an organized fun ride that takes you through a good portion of Door County WI and I had an invitation from one of the sponsors to ride with them. It was an absolutely beautiful day and it was a lot of fun to connect with some of my friends from the area.

As I had the opportunity to ride and to talk with my friends I began to realize just how blessed we are in so many ways. We are really blessed…but we have to first accept the blessing and then we have to believe that we are blessed and we also have to act on the blessing. Many times people will read scripture that tells them they are blessed and then they walk away and talk about how tough and horrible their life is. And they make decisions based on worse case scenarios…basically making decisions on the belief that they will be cursed rather than blessed. And then they will wake up the next day and read some more scripture that again tells them they are blessed and they will go to church and sing songs about being blessed and yet they will walk away and make the same decisions based on worst case scenarios.

I know there are people who wonder and those who actually tell me that I am lucky or that somehow things often just seem to go my way. I have to be honest and tell them it is God’s favor working in my life. But it doesn’t just magically happen. I believe for it. I believe it will happen long before it does. I just naturally assume things will go my way…and if ever they don’t I don’t suck my thumb about it I will get back up and take another run at it…all along believing that things will go my way.

Sounds easy enough…doesn’t it? But, one of the things with this approach is that there may be times when it is months and months of believing…during a time when you want things to happen in days or at the most a few weeks. Or it may even be years of believing…when you really think you need it to happen in must months. During these moments it is critical that you do not give up. You do not give in. You never stop beleving and you never doubt.

When you allow doubt to creep in and take the place of faith you are in for a very rough ride. James tells us that it is akin to being tossed about by huge waves while on a small raft. You are definitely a bit out of control in this situation…and you are out of control when you begin to doubt. You are giving in to the thoughts of this world and of the enemy rather than the thoughts of what God has planned for your life.

Don’t just read about being blessed…know that you are and then act on that knowledge. Today…be blessed!!


James 1:6-8 – “But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.”

Have a blessed day,

RodZ

© 2008 – Rodney Zimmerman – All rights reserved

No comments: