Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What's Holding You Back?


I have to admit it is easier to write a message when I have a clear topic…a clear thought process…and a clear idea of what I want to say. That does happen…sometimes. I am so thankful when it does. It is so easy. I actually feel like I am a writer. But then there are the times that I have written about in the past. Those times when you just have to start writing something. And I don’t like that. As I have said before it makes me feel like I will write this whole message and then find out it is junk and have to throw it away and start over. Basically…the reason to not do it is to avoid failing. The fear of failure is what would keep me from starting and doing something. Is that ever a reason? It shouldn’t be.

But then again there is something refreshing and renewing about stepping out and being vulnerable. It forces a certain kind of transparency that cannot be accomplished any other way. In a world that is all about image and appearance and social status the willingness to step out and be transparent is a rare commodity. Yet those that have done it and have experienced some failure and embarrassment and yet have bounced back to achieve a level of success are admired. Books are written about them…heck, sometimes they write books about themselves. But if you were able to dial back a few steps and captured the moment of what was being said and what was going on in their world at the moment of failure and embarrassment and before the long awaited success I think you would find something very different than what you hear now.

I believe today’s message is incredibly simple. Perhaps it is intended for one of you and perhaps it is intended for myself…or perhaps all of us collectively. It is this. There are some out there that are being called to step out. To start writing their story just like I had to step out and start writing this message. You are nervous about this step. It is scary. There are thoughts racing through your mind saying, “What if I fail?” “What will those around me think if I do “this” and lose it all?”

Let me say this…do not enter a venture with the thoughts of what if I fail and what if I lose it all. Begin your project to win. Start your project to succeed and settle for nothing less. Don’t stop running until you reach the finish line.

In 1992 (as you may have seen on the Visa Commercials for the Olympics) Derek Redmond ran the 400 Meter Race. But he didn’t finish first, second, third, or even in fifth place. He finished last. As he started the race he tore his hamstring, which is an incredibly painful injury. But he got up and he began to hobble himself to the finish. As he was slowly and painfully making his way towards the finish line his father ran out on the track and assisted his son to the finish line. This produced one of the most emotional and inspiring images of the Olympics. Was Derek a failure? I think few would place him in that category. Did the race finish as he had envisioned? Probably not. But yet the sight of his father helping him across the finish line has probably inspired more people than the person who won the race. And…he finished the race he started and he obviously gave it his all.

Don’t hesitate to step out and start the race. Don’t hesitate to get going. You have to ask yourself “What is holding me back?” And answer truthfully and honestly.

Get going and run the race!!

Acts 20:24 – “However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me…”

Have a blessed day,

RodZ

© 2008 – Rodney Zimmerman – All rights reserved


No comments: