Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What A Ride

I’m not totally sure why I like to ride roller coasters. Perhaps it is the thrill of free falling for a certain amount of time, but still being strapped into the safety of a seat. Perhaps it is the exhilaration of doing loops, where for a moment you are held upside down…but you are still in the safety of a seat. Perhaps it is the anticipation of what is to come as you wait in line…and then before you know it the moment is there and you are climbing in with the knowledge that in just seconds you are going to be on a ride that is a bit beyond your control…but your faith is the in equipment…the proven mechanics of a system perfected by its maker. Each year hundreds of thousands of people put their faith and literally their life in the hands of a mechanical system that takes them on a thrill ride.

My thoughts today turn towards the search for excitement and adventure. The desire to be in a situation that is just a bit beyond our control. We desire to place our faith in something that is seemingly stronger than us.

This is the very place that God desires to take us. He desires that we live our life in such a way that we have to put our faith and trust in him. He has created us with an inborn craving for adventure, for what may be perceived by some as a bit of recklessness. But what we know to be simply living by faith.

As much as I enjoy roller coasters I really don’t have as great of a need for them anymore. I have my fill of excitement just living my life day to day. And believe me it is much greater than any ride an amusement park has to offer. But…this will not prevent me from partaking in a little roller coaster riding...given the opportunity!


2 Corinthians 11:21-29 – “What anyone else dares to boast about—I am speaking as a fool—I also dare to boast about. Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham's descendants? So am I. Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?”

I don’t think Paul needed a theme park for excitement!!

Have a blessed day,

RodZ

© 2008 – Rodney Zimmerman – All rights reserved




No comments: