Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Oh' The Places You'll Go


Oh, the places you’ll go.

“Congratulations! Today is your day! You’re off to great places! You’re off and away! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the guy who’ll decide where to go!”—Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss was quite the motivational writer, wasn’t he? Perhaps if we changed the illustrations and did away with a few of the rhymes we would appreciate his writing as much now as we did as children.

This weekend I went on a run with my two eight year old sons. We covered 11-miles…me running and them on their bikes. Quite honestly I am getting to a point where they end up waiting for me and they are the ones that will begin to grow a little inpatient. I think I may have to start biking with them when I bike and have them run with me while I run. Anyways…during one portion of the run one of my sons began asking me questions about the bike tours. Specifically the Tour de France. He was asking how long each stage was, how many days it lasted, how many miles they covered each day, how many stages Lance won, and how many he would have to win to break Lance’s record.

Dr. Seuss knew he had an audience when he began writing children’s books. An audience that had not been told what they could not do. An audience that was not mentally restricted by family heritage, social status, neighborhood demographics, or IQ tests.

Theodor Seuss Geisel…also known as Dr. Seuss did much writing prior to becoming the famed children’s author that he is best known for. He spent fifteen years writing advertising campaigns for Standard Oil prior to penning his first children’s book entitled “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street.” This first book was far from an immediate success. He saw it rejected 27-times before Vanguard Press finally decided to publish it.

I think Dr. Seuss knew a little bit about what he wrote about. The thoughts of dreaming about the places he could go. About what he could accomplish. About seeing beyond the place that he currently was.

At what point do we change? And what is it that changes us?

When do we stop dreaming? And what is it that stifles those dreams?

What is it that speaks into our lives? And who do we decide to listen to?

I see amazing dreams unfolding in my own children’s lives. They constantly talk about the things they will accomplish. The places they will go. The things they will achieve. Who should ever speak any doubt into those dreams? Who should ever say to them that these things can’t be accomplished? Who are we to say they are being unrealistic.

Most people want to say be realistic. It can’t be done. I want to say it can. And help provide the environment and the discipline necessary to see great things happen. Great accomplishments don’t just happen. They require training, discipline, and perseverance. Provide the environment that fosters these traits and you have a champion!

Jeremiah 33:2-3 – “This is what the LORD says, he who made the earth, the LORD who formed it and established it—the LORD is his name: 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'”

Have a blessed day,

RodZ

© 2008 – Rodney Zimmerman – All rights reserved

No comments: