Monday, June 30, 2008

Is It Time for a New Bike?


I’ve had three bicycles during my adult life. First a hybrid trail-road bike that I bought just for recreation and a little exercise. My wife ended up taking this to college and Madison and using it for transportation around the campus. I didn’t get another bicycle for approximately 12-years when in 2004 I bought my first real road bike. An aluminum frame Felt road bike. It was a decent bike and definitely met my needs as a recreational road cyclist and someone who enjoyed dabbling in triathlons. I got my third and current bike a year later. It is a carbon fiber Scott road bike. Much like the Felt…but made of carbon fiber so it is quite a bit lighter and has slightly better components and better wheels than my first bike.

There are bikes that are much better than mine and those that are of definite lower quality. I am very satisfied with the bike I currently have, as I believe it doesn’t hamper my performance at all. In fact…I know my fitness level could raise several notches to match the level of performance this bike is capable of. I always determined that it is time to upgrade my equipment when it is truly the equipment that is hampering my performance.

Let me ask you this question…in your life…in your profession or career…are you in a position that will allow you to grow or is your position limiting what you are capable of? I am a firm believer that you will not realize your full potential until you align your career or profession with your passion.

Just as I purchased and made an investment in a new bike when I felt my level of fitness called for it…so must you be willing to make the move and make the investment in yourself and position yourself in a place that will allow your giftings and passions to be fully realized.

Is it time for a new bike for you?

Romans 12:4-8 – “Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.”

Have a blessed day,

RodZ

© 2008 – Rodney Zimmerman – All rights reserved

No comments: