Sunday, June 29, 2008

By the Bell or Near Hell

“Some wish to live within the sound of a church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell.” C.T. Studd

C.T. Studd was a missionary and evangelist in the early part of the 1900’s. The quote above is no stretch of how he lived his life. He father made a fortune in business and C.T. inherited a good part of that fortune when he turned 25. Being a believer in the promises of God he gave away almost all that he inherited to other evangelists and missionary works. C.T. lived his life fearlessly…taking numerous missionary journeys. And he spent the last 21 years of his life in the heart of Africa. He desired to go to Africa in 1910…but he was being strongly discouraged by his doctors who warned him he was not in good enough health and that the journey alone may kill him. But C.T. felt he was being called by God to go. So he did. And God blessed him with 21 years of productive ministry in Africa.

Shortly before his death C.T. wrote this in a letter home to his wife and children…

"As I believe I am now nearing my departure from this world, I have but a few things to rejoice in; they are these:

1. That God called me to China and I went in spite of utmost opposition from all my loved ones.
2. That I joyfully acted as Christ told that rich young man to act.
3. That I deliberately at the call of God, when alone on the Bibby liner in 1910, gave up my life for this work, which was to be henceforth not for the Sudan only, but for the whole unevangelized World.

My only joys therefore are that when God has given me a work to do, I have not refused it."

The ability to end a life with the assurance that C.T. was able to write with that he had followed the Lord in all of his callings on life and that he had truly given it his all doesn’t come easily. In fact it is downright tough. There is a certain amount of danger and risk that goes with being able to make claims such as C.T. made near the end of his life.

The decision to get out of our comfort zone is not an easy one to make. It is much like a description I heard recently of someone having to enter some cold water. At first you just test the water with your toes. Then you are up to your knees and then a little deeper and pretty soon you are at a point that you just do not want to take another step. At this point there is not easy way. You are better off just taking the plunge and jumping in.

The transition to living a life that may be considered a bit wild or on the edge is just that way. You can only tip-toe for so long before you are really required to make the plunge.

I believe that there are so many reading this and so many people that we all know that are wondering what the next step is…what is next in life…where is the fulfillment? I believe that there is no real answer…other than taking the plunge into a life dependent on the faithfulness of God…and being a witness to his faithfulness playing out in our own lives.

Take the plunge…it may be uncomfortable…but it is so much better than sitting on shore watching.

2 Corinthians 11:24-28 – “Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.”

Have a blessed day,

RodZ

© 2008 – Rodney Zimmerman – All rights reserved

No comments: