Thursday, October 2, 2008

Focused On The Win

2 Samuel 22:2-3 – “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—from violent men you save me.”

Psalm 31:24 – “Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.”

Mark 9:23 – “Everything is possible for him who believes.”

Greater things are yet to come. Greater things are still to be done. What you have done so far? The things that you have accomplished with your life…they are only a foundation for what you are still to do with the rest of your life. It doesn’t matter what your age…your background…your occupation…there is still more to be written with your life.

One of the most powerful practices we can employ is to focus on the goal at hand. Focus on our calling. Focus on what “winning” means to you. Focus on our purpose.

When Lance Armstrong joined Johan Bruyneel’s team he brought with him many great traits. A discipline of training that inspired the rest of the team…but he also brought with him a distraction. Lance had the habit of being extremely disciplined in answering emails and reading news articles written about the competing teams on the web. While that may be admirable it really wasn’t necessary to winning the race. It was actually becoming a distraction. And Johan recognized this and he had a talk with Lance and the rest of the team and put a policy in force that said it was time to leave the laptops at home. No computers allowed when they were on the road. And Lance fully supported it and backed the policy because although he enjoyed reading his emails and answering them he enjoyed winning more.

If you’re going to win it is going to take focus. Focus first on the scriptures above. Focus on the hope you have in the Lord and promises that he has made to us. Focus then on the purpose that you have been created for and for which you are living. And then focus on getting it done.

Take some time this weekend to bring a laser-like intensity to your purpose and calling and allow that to propel you to your next win!

Have a blessed day,

RodZ

© 2008 – Rodney Zimmerman – All rights reserved

No comments: